Thursday 20 June 2013

That dark place.....

After training regularly each week for the past 6 months my knee decides now (2 weeks out) to tell me that its not going to run anymore and its had enough.

Last night I went for a short 4 mile run/walk just to get some regular small distances in leading up to race day, after 3 miles of running I had to walk home. This is becoming a regular occurrence over the past months and I am very much in the middle of no-where now. I can`t really train for running as its just too sore and ill just cause more injury however I can`t really rest as with raceday almost 2 weeks away I need to taper correctly to ensure I`m in good shape on the day.

Ive been regularly stretching and doing strengthening exercises everyday to improve glute/hips as from everything Ive read leads to my knee issue. I bought a ITB band support which I tried last night which did`nt really seem to help in anyway shape or form.

So what now.....

I go to the physio, get told Ive got what I already know Ive got and get told I need 20 days off from training with stretching everyday? not ideal.

I don`t go to the physio, I keep doing my stretching and strengthening exercises and hope that in 2 weeks i`ll be strong enough to run at least some of the marathon. again not ideal but at least with no running I can concentrate on my swimming and cycling until race day and if I have a reasonable swim and bike I should be able to jog/walk the run within the cut-off.

I go to the physio to get refereed to get a cortisone injection

"Cortisone is a powerful anti-inflammatory medication. Cortisone is not a pain relieving medication, it only treats the inflammation. When pain is decreased from cortisone it is because the inflammation is diminished. By injecting the cortisone into a particular area of inflammation, very high concentrations of the medication can be given while keeping potential side-effects to a minimum. Cortisone injections usually work within a few days, and the effects can last up to several weeks. "

This could be the answer to get through the run with actually running some of it.

Its amazingly frustrating to think that less than 3 weeks ago I PB`d the outlaw half by 1hr 10mins and PB`d my half marathon by almost half an hour run/walking with no pain or niggles, now with almost no real running since I cannot run 3 miles without agonizing knee pain forcing me to walk.

decisions to make

No comments:

Post a Comment